Entertainment in the Air
I have often been surprised how restrictive the US air travel is when it comes to many aspects of the creature comforts up in the air. Let’s see – how do we compare flights in many countries of Asia and in the US? Let’s list the services (besides getting from point A to point B) offered:
- In-flight food: On all US flights, food is unheard of – unless you are one of the few traveling in First / Business class of the plane. At the same time, in China, and other Asia countries as well as in Europe, the crew serves warm food to everyone on the plane. No matter wheter you are taking an in-country flight on Air China, or Shenzhen Airlines (to name a couple), you are going to get your boxed lunch consisting of a stir fry over rice.
- Entertainment: The intra-China flights or intra-India flights are usually operated with bare bones planes which do not have the right equipment to show much in the form of entertainment. Having said that, it is likely to get entertainment if you happen to be on a newer plane…. Now lets compare that to te US – until recently, the usage of entertainment was fee only based –> now both American Airlines and Delta are starting to offer free entaiment following Delta’s first mover act.
- Why is free entertainment important? Here why:
- Makes time go by faster
- It creates a lot more relaxed crowd on the plane
- It should help reduce the booz drinking on the flight
- Finally, it will make for a much happier flyers and potentially return business for the airlines.
- I would like to hear from the readers of this blog… Don’t hesitate – share your experiences and what you think makes sense on board an airship….
- How would you like to pass your time?
- Is getting food on-board the plane important to you?
- What do you consider best in class services when traveling by plane?